RESERVE YOUR CSA SHARE FOR THE 2021 SEASON! We are reserving shares for 2021 with a $25 deposit. Just call/email the farm to ask us to reserve the share, and then you can send a check to the farm for the deposit or call/email with card info.
TOMATO SAUCE IS READY! We’re so excited that our Tomato Sauce is ready. We’ll have it available at our Market sites next weekend, and we’ll also be able to deliver it to your site for you. The cost is $8.50/jar and $90/case of 12 jars. The jars are 24 oz. Strawberry Spread will be available soon!
WHAT’S IN YOUR SHARE THIS WEEK:
- Pears ~ Mt. Hood Organics Cascade
- Red Russian Kale
- Collards greens
- Napa Cabbage
- Delicata Squash
PEARS! The beautiful pears in your share this week are a variety created by the Mt Hood Organics farm. It’s a mix between the Comice and the Red Bartlett. The skin of the Comice variety is very fragile, which is why your fruit is packed in the little protective papers. The fruit will ripen and be ready to eat!. Its buttery flesh is sweet and juicy, and will be delicious on an appetizer fruit plate, or served with some tangy Bleu Cheese. It will also be delicious in this recipe submitted by long time CSA Member Lisa Plumb…hope you enjoy it!
SPICED PEAR UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large pears, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Ice cream, optional
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Pour melted butter into a 9-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with nuts and brown sugar. Arrange pears over nuts.
- In a large bowl, cream softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- Spread batter over pears. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm with ice cream if desired.
Brrrrrr…..what frosty mornings we’re having! Once he sun comes over the hill, it does warm us up, but until then we are taking care of as many inside tasks as possible. Bagging carrots is one way to pass the time until the field crops are ready to harvest.
Unfortunately, not all tasks that need to be done are inside jobs. Washing produce on a chilly morning such as this is not for the feint hearted, and crew volunteers are always appreciated. This photo of our gorgeous Brussels Sprouts harvest is a teaser for a week in the future….
We hope that you all enjoy your veggies this week, and have a beautiful weekend!
Linda and all of your Winter Green Farmers